Re: coming back to xywrite

** Reply to note from xywrite@xxxxxxxx Sat, 17 Apr 1999 12:26:34 +0200

> In the command line:

> C:,A:

> (or whatever your drives are called...)
> and EXECUTE.

I think if you're going to do that you have to be sure that the first driveletter
specified is the drive where the text being edited is located. If you had "A:,C:"
but you were editing off C:, it wouldn't work (or at least that's what I
remember, no XyWrite to check with just now...) I also seem to remember an awful
lot of drive whirring, when I forgot to put a floppy in, and an awful lot of time
passing while writing to A:. Hard drives being what they are nowadays, i.e.
ultra-reliable, why not just save to floppy once, at the end of the day? What's
sometimes more useful, and certainly more interesting, is incremental backups to
floppies, which offer the equivalent of an unlimited "undo" facility. Or almost
unlimited: 999 backups, to be exact. Carl Distefano's SAVEBAK utility (aka "SAB",
in XYWWWEB.U2) handles this reliably. To SAve the current file at its current
location, and put these backups on A:, you'd issue (in the KBD file):

nn=XHSABXw,a,i,t,Q2JM2,.,P,r,s,K,b,d,A,r,g,Q2s,a,b, ,A,:,\,NO

All the backups are numbered in chronological order. Nifty.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx