Re: Expanded mode

On 3 Oct. 97 Rene wrote (in part)

"I guess they could *imitate* some sort of expanded mode -- translating the
gobbledygook and representing it as codes at the respective places in the
file, the way they do it already with paragraph marks. Now, if they did
that, *and* if they gave me a command line somewhere, I might be persuaded
to get "Word" out of its insulation ward and give it another try..."

Reminds me of the wintry day when I was waiting at a bus stop with my then
girlfriend, and after I'd found and put on my mittens I pointed out that
now I couldn't get out my bus fare. So she said "Wouldn't it be handy to
have a separate little tiny mitten for each finger?" To which I replied
"Yes: you've just invented the glove."

Sounds to me like Rene is on the way to inventing XyWrite.

The real problem, for me, is that having used Word only a little and
WPerfect not at all, I find it hard to *explain* to the poor benighted
vassals of those tyrannical programs what it's like to be a free citizen of
the Xyworld, standing upright in the (sometimes harsh) sunlight of perfect
word-processing lucidity.

(I do use Word, grudgingly, (a) because I haven't been able to feed a
designed, formatted XyWrite document into WinFax 4 for faxing out, and (b)
because I publish a village newsletter, for which I want to use Word's
letter-spacing capability, and employ various fonts I have that won't print
properly under XyWin. I realize these are all needs that can probably be
met if I would master new ancillary software; but somehow I never seem to
have the time. Meanwhile, whenever I need to do *any* serious writing or
editing I do it in XyDos or XyWin.)

Cheers
Eric Van Tassel