Re: A Real puzzler

** Reply to message from "M.W. Poirier"
 on Sat, 14 Jul 2007 06:16:53 -0400
(EDT)

Yes, I think Carl's statement does reflect the consensus -- and
yes, I suspect you've been lucky. The concept of WYSIWYG in
XyWrite has been variously defined: Xy3 defined it as Draft
mode (note the "G" in func WG) or Page-Line mode (func SP); and
Xy4 as the wacky graphical mode (func WZ). I've been able to
get WZ mode to work in a window on a couple of machines, but it
doesn't succeed on any of my present computers. In fact, if I
issue func WZ, my machines mostly either toggle of their own
accord into VGA (full screen), or else the window freezes (and
the window must be toggled back into full screen to regain
control). The basic problem with this graphical mode is that it
writes to the console using Speedo raster graphics and
(probably) ANSI color -- altogether quite non-standard -- and
projecting that into a Desktop window probably requires
particular capabilities in the hardware graphics adapter. I've
never explored this issue in any depth -- because I've never
been a fan of WZ mode (at 640x480, visually much too crude --
ugly, in my opinion).

 ----
> On Fri, 13 Jul 2007, Carl Distefano wrote:

>> If you're running Xy4 in a window, I believe it's been well
>> documented here that graphics view does not work reliably in a
>> window. IIRC, more often than not it does not work. I have
little
>> use for Xy-in-a-window, so I'll leave it to those who've
struggled
>> with the problem to comment further.

>> --
>> Carl Distefano