File for downloading

In view of the interest in customizing XyWrite for DOS, I have just uploaded a
23K binary file named XYCUS1.ZIP. It is zipped with PKZIP 2.04g. If you want
it, you can download it via anonymous FTP to CCAT.SAS.UPENN.EDU. It is in the
directory /PUB/MAJORDOMO.

You might want to note for future reference that archived messages and other
pure text files will be (as they are added) in a directory called XYWRITE, but
this is not possible with binary files, because the software does not support
binary file transfer. We can make them available by a separate arrangement in
the directory noted in the last paragraph.

Let me remind you as well that if you have files to store for FTP downloading,
please send them to my private address. I can then have them stored and
announce to the list that they are available. When a few more files
accumulate, they will be documented in a text file named CATALOG in the
XYWRITE directory. Binary files, if longer than a few KB, should be zipped.

This archive contains about 35 files, including XN.KBD, my XyWrite keyboard
that largely mimicks the NotaBene 4 keyboard commands, and incorporates a large
number of new and transposed commands. It began with a file furnished to me by
Michael Jasper, but he will find it so elaborated that it is barely
recognizable. H is a help file that summarizes basic XyWrite functions,
original and modified, and then lists all modifications to the original
XY4.KBD. I have also added over 30 XPL programs, including five called by the
keyboard file (if you do not keep programs in a directory called \XY\R, you
will have to modify the keyboard file; a note in it lists the programs it
calls). All the programs (and other files) are listed and their use explained
briefly in READ.ME. Some of the XPL programs also contain annotations. I will
be glad to answer any questions. Of course I can't guarantee that any of these
files will work satisfactorily for you, but I will be glad to have comments and
suggestions about them.

-- Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science
University of Pennsylvania