Re: wildcard question/Xy4 to RTF

Reply to note from Bill Troop  Sat, 04 Aug 2001
18:54:06 -0400

> But re, BX...Q2, don't ask me why, but the way I've been doing
> it is BX(...). The only thing I don't like about that is that
> the program is hard to read because there are no carriage
> returns. Is there a way around that? And what's the diff
> between BX...Q2 and BX(...) ? Oh, and what does ;*; do?

BX () is an alternate form of BX...Q2; the latter is more reliable
in some situations (probably not applicable to your present effort).
In the future, I recommend that you adopt BX...Q2 as the preferable
form.

Semi-star-semi (;*;) is the comment symbol; the XPL interpreter
ignores everything from ;*; up to the next carriage return. Use it
liberally to make your code more readable; there is no speed
penalty. For example:

BX se "this"Q2 >...;*; [optional comment here]
BX se "that"Q2 >...;*;

The RTF spec is available at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/specs/rtfspec.htm.

--