Re: STACK STACK STACK

** Reply to note from Harry Binswanger  Sat, 16 Nov 96 12:25:06 +0000

> I've found a way to get that STACK STACK STACK STACK message that someone
> was asking about.
> I get it when I excecute:
> va/nv \15
> Anyone else get that? I don't get it when using
SmartSet.U2's equivalent: > ERR \15
> but I notice that prints the err-msg's content on the Command Line not the
> Prompt line.

FWIW, Harry, I don't get the STACK STACK message with
either ERR \15 (which puts the message at the
cursor position, on CMline or in text), or with
ERR 15, which displays the message on the PRoMPT
line.

Do you still get STACKeroo if you load a new Xy session
and issue va/nv \15 or the SmartSet equivalents as the
very first command? That would indicate, I think, memory
overflow attributable to something other than calling error
message 15.  After all, you're not *generating * the "Help frame
too large" error; you're just displaying the message.

BTW, I routinely get STACKeroo right and left while
developing XPL, especially when handling hot characters
like Ascii-255, 26 and 0, but most of the time it doesn't
seem to affect session integrity, at least not right away.
Xy4's internal recovery system is alot more robust than
III+'s, where the much-feared "OOOPS Unexpected..."
rang the alarm to SAve all open files and beat a hasty retreat.

Carl Distefano  * * *