Re: STACK STACK STACK

Carl wrote:

>FWIW, Harry, I don't get the STACK STACK message with
>either ERR \15 (which puts the message at the
>cursor position, on CMline or in text), or with
>ERR 15, which displays the message on the PRoMPT
>line.
>
>Do you still get STACKeroo if you load a new Xy session
>and issue va/nv \15 or the SmartSet equivalents as the
>very first command?
Yes. Even when I don't run any startup.int and limit the preceding commands to:
load xy4.mnu
load xy4.hlp
--which I assume is the minimum for using va/nv \15.

> That would indicate, I think, memory
>overflow attributable to something other than calling error
>message 15.  After all, you're not *generating * the "Help frame
>too large" error; you're just displaying the message.

Exactly. Now here's an interesting thing: I don't get the STACKeroo when I
put the va into a file:
va \15
And--more interesting--all and only the messages that give the STACK's are
those that end with an ampersand, as with \15
"Help frame too large &"
or with msgs: 16,26,121,127,132,146,147,164,165,214,215 (stopped looking at
msg 255).

And I can't even find which file stores the text for the messages. A "se
*.*/help frame too/" in my xy4 directory turned up nothing in ascii.

'Tis a puzzlement.

Regards,
Harry

Harry Binswanger