Re: A Win95 question

Phil Smith:

There has been a great deal of discussion on the list over the last couple
of years about the differences between XY and XW. From my own limited
perspective, if you use your customized keyboard for both, they perform
almost identically. I find XW is much easier for tables and graphics, esp.
visually fitting the latter into place. I also find it easier for
converting files, but that may be because its filters are more up to date
(they are not interchangeable). It lacks the flexibility re screen fonts
that most Windows programs have. Its main advantage is that it can use the
Windows printer driver with its wide range of TTF fonts, and other Windows
features. The main disadvantage is an ugly and tiring XW screen font in
draft and p-l modes. You will find information about using alternate fonts,
but they do not work for everyone, e.g., me.

N. Sivin
History and Sociology of Science
University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA 19104-3325, U.S.A.