Re: Possible activity heading towards XyWrite replacement

Patricia M. Godfrey wrote:
> Well, Xy III got old a long time ago. But before tossing it, I'd
> really try upgrading to 4 with U2. It runs fine even under Vista
> and addresses a lot of your issues.

Well, the more I think about it, the more I think I mis-titled the first
post of this thread. The reality is that I'm thinking more in terms of
"hedging my bet" than I am in terms of complete replacement. It does seem
to me that I can make both XY and epsilon similar enough that I would be
able to use either (without much in the way of preference) for a very
large percentage of what I do, and I expect that that is what I would do.

>>It runs fine even under Vista

Which is an OS that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. (Also true with
XP, which I also won't touch because of activation -- no "copy protection"
is a matter of principle with me -- if people buy it, we'll have it
forever.) The more important question to me, by far, is what to expect
under Linux, because that has to be where I'm heading in the long term.

As to using XY 4, I've resisted moving to it in part because I can't get
it to run reliably under NT 4, which is still the system I prefer to (and
do) use more often than any other. But I am planning to build a new W2K
machine soon which I will use more regularly, and I will be taking another
crack at XY 4 when I do that.

Wally Bass