Re: Discovery ... & counter problem

class's notes from a long file containing a whole semester of class notes. I >want to put that class's number in the printout, and I'm using counter C5 to >number each class, but I print out each class by defining only that section >of the file, so the printout always interprets "Class " to be "Class 1" >because it is the first C5 in the defined block I'm printing. I take it that "each class" means "each session of a course." I would put each set of notes inside a ≪NT≫ marker, so all would be non-printing unless the ≪NT at the beginning and the ≫ are removed. It is not hard to write little programs to put selected text into these markings, and to remove them when the cursor is on the delta. See the enclosed nt.pgm and ntx.pgm. Before doing that, I would number each week's notes. You can do that manually at the beginning, or insert a series of extraneous characters (I use #) that you then convert to numbers using another small program. The one attached uses the command run incr.pgm,n where n is the number by which to increment (normally 1). I take the liberty of enclosing it because it is widely useful. If you need to convert ≪c1≫ deltas to real number, for instance, it is easy to convert them all to # and then run INCR. Best,

-------
N. Sivin
History and Sociology of Science
University of Pennsylvania