Re: Another question

On Wed, 26 Oct 1994, Nathan Sivin wrote:

> We use XyWrite for the same reasons. I have tried Win and OS/2 Program >
Manager, CMDPOST, and Norton Desktop with Windows, and it is boring to >
click-click back and forth, or sitting there waiting for a piece of text > to
turn up that Magellan would have found within a second. It has to be > said,
however, that the XYDOS 4 file management facilities are primitive > compared
to those in Nota Bene 4, which made it extremely fast to do > almost anything
with a file. I hope that they will appear in the next > avatar of XY. As it
is, in XY I call up a directory if I don't recall > its contents, and one
keystroke in my modified keyboard opens the file the > cursor is on. You might
be interested in making your modified keyboard > (suitably documented)
available to list members. Mine is available via > FTP in XPLNS.ZIP. Harmon
and others, you too!

I'd be happy to--but I'll have to spruce up the documentation! Much of my
keyboard was baswed on the exhaustive changes I made in 3.55, with the help of
Herb Tyson. At one point, I had a pretty neat hypertext macro (put word at
cursor on command line, search archive directories for that word), but it was
limited by XyWrite's slow search capability--a function of not having an index,
I suppose.
   I basically use Xy 4 the same way; rarely access the menus, everything
accessible by alt/ctl/letter combinations.
   Magellan was a wonderful product; my local closeout store is selling it
for $14.95 per copy.