Re: Another question

Leslie:

Re customization, let me remind you that the list can post binary files
(such as zip files) for downloading via FTP, as well as ASCII files that can be
ordered direct from the list server. The latter include monthly compilations
of our discussions.

Since the University's computer does not support binary uploading without a
password, there are two options for getting binary custom files to me: sending
a disk by snailmail (address below), or e-mailing XX-encoded files to my
private address, nsivin@xxxxxxxx. Don't send them directly to the list
unless you have ascertained that most subscribers want them. If you have a
UUXFER or another UU-encoder, chances are that it can XX-encode too. It is
much safer, since a file may cross half a dozen or more different platforms on
its way from you to me. We welcome keyboards, suites of XPL programs, help
files, etc. Just make sure they are documented so people will know what they
do and how.

I want to remind you that available files are listed in CATALOG.DOC, which you
can order via ordinary e-mail. A gem is Carl DiStefano's SMARTS24.ZIP, from
which you can learn a good deal about the use of help files in adding features
and customizing.

-- Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science
University of Pennsylvania