Re: Printer Drivers

Jim Eberle:

I can't speak about the HP 682c printer, but if the version of Windows that
you have supports this printer, there is no reason to doubt that XW can use
the Windows driver. I always use the Windows printing facility in XW, since
it gives you access to all TT fonts (including in my case Chinese, Japanese,
Greek, Cyrillic, etc.).

But Tim is right about the major downer of XW. Instead of the Speedo fonts
for expanded and draft modes, it uses a Windows system font that many users,
emphatically including me, find ugly and bothersome to have to use. You will
find long discussions in our archive about alternative Windows system fonts
that you can substitute, but, depending on your hardware, they will not
necessarily make much difference. I have tried them all, and they don't for
me. If you don't want to input in graphics mode, you may find yourself
creating the file in XY and calling it up in XW for the finishing touches
(no problem about that).

I just hope that in the new version someone has found an alternative to this
disastrous choice.

N. Sivin
History and Sociology of Science
University of Pennsylvania