software remapping of caps lock, control, etc.

As far as I know, the Microsoft-supplied keyboard remapping works perfectly
for both Windows and DOS programs. You have to download either Kernel Toys
or Power Toys from Microsoft -- I forget which one it is --; one of them
has keyboard remap. Follow the installation instructions, which are a
little out of the ordinary. Then, when you go into control panels, and
select keyboard, you'll see a new tab called remap -- just select what you
want remapped, and it's done. I've used this for years without problems.