Re: Menus (not) in Xy4

CLD> Annie says:
CLD> A> The lone prize that could motivate me to compete is
CLD> A> total liberation of v4 from dialog boxes and menus. >
CLD> Annie, I don't see the issue. Xy4 doesn't require dialog boxes and
CLD> menus, any more than III+ requires A la Carte. Just don't load the
CLD> .MNU and .DLG files, that's all; they're fully detachable. There's
CLD> nothing those files do that can't be done directly from the command
CLD> line, or with a little XPL.

But OTOH, you can also load them and just not use them much, or
at all, until you find something useful (like avoiding
Word4Word's incredibly complicated, and mainly undocumented,
command line syntax). Nothing lost.
Granted that DLG doesn't represent a working style that you or I
like or will ever use much, nevertheless I'm admiring of the
skill that goes into it, and find it very educational to study
for technique. One thing is sure: in Word Perfect, you can't
alter to your liking the minute workings of innards like DLG|MNU.
 In XyWrite you can. And I suspect that many people use the
menus (I know my kids do).

Anyway, Baehr's stuff is going to be all dialog boxes, I'll bet.
We'll see. He's spent a lot of time writing them, and liberated
from the sober proprietary thumb and the rule that they have to
be as dull and time- consuming as possible, he may come up with
some good stuff. I liked his precis . . . PCX signatures
indeed!

Robert J. Holmgren holmgrn@xxxxxxxx