Re: A non-hysterical, non-bogus virus warning

At 10:02 PM 3/14/02 -0600, Harry Binswanger wrote:
>Fellow XyWriters
>
>I know most virus warnings are bogus, and don't we know enough not to click
>on random attachments, already?

Actually, most of them are not bogus, they are plain stupid. These things
are not real viri, which sneak into your system stealthily.
They are "Trojans" which is just a fancy name for a program that somebody
sends you, and you are stupid enough to execute.
This is a matter of choice! If somebody on the street gives a little pill
and asks you to swallow it -- do you? And do you then run around and
complain about the danger of little pills?

Something in this whole virus hoopla offends me. If there *is* a real virus
out there somewhere, yes I would like to hear about it. But warnings about
dangerous executables arriving as e-mail attachments? Pleeeze!

-- Rene von Rentzell, Tokyo