Re: Long time lurker on the XyWrite list and...

Thanks for this info, Kari.  I think you would find that eCS is a lot closer to supporting contemporary hardware than that last version of OS/2, although there may still be some gaps.  I already have one VPC package that you provided, which probably has some overlap with this one.  But it's always good to have additional options.

Another factor is that -- so far -- I'm not up-to-date on hardware, either.  I sort of standardized on the XPC line of small form factor "cube" PCs some time ago.  The most recent of these I have is the SX48P2, running Core 2 Quad, such as the QX9550.  They don't pack the cpu horsepower of an i5 or i7, but have been adequate for my needs, and I like their feature set.  No problems matching them with any OS I've tried.

   Jordan

From: Kari Eveli
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, August 7, 2015 12:31 AM
Subject: Re: Long time lurker on the XyWrite list and...

Hello,

>The only exception that comes to mind is that I never managed to get
the OS/2 version of Clip to exchange text with the OS/2 clipboard.

If you want to run XyWrite under OS/2, you sure can. Because of hardware
incompatibilities and other things that have not been updated, OS/2 is
not a prime candidate for the primary operating system, but it runs very
well under MS Virtual PC 2007 with additions, which means you will have
shared folder support, and you can share files and clipboard content via
a file between OS/2 and the Windows host system.

Running MS Virtual PC 2007 means that you have to uninstall XP mode, and
the Win7 VirtualPC component. Running MS Virtual PC 2007 under Win 8 is
even trickier, Win 8 needs, among other things, a VMM.SYS file that
enables VirtualPC 2007 to run on Win 8, version 1.1.663.0. If you need
this file, contact me privately for details. This might even work on Win
10, but I have not tried it, nor have I seen a report that it works.

How to install OS/2 (I have version 4 installed, Win 7 Virtual PC 2007):
1) Make a new virtual machine with OS/2 default settings
2) Install DOS, e.g. version 5
3) Start the OS/2 install with diskettes and diskette images, select
Advanced Installation, remove the DOS partition with FDISK, set the disk
to Installable
4) Install OS/2
5) Install a video driver (SVGA is the best you can get!). I can email
the video driver diskette image to whom it may interest, just ask!
6) Install the Virtual Machine Additions from Virtual PC, Action menu,
Install ...
See also:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2005/01/11/350875.aspx

Best regards,