Re: FW: Spanish, screen fonts, HP

Harriet Hodges wrote:
Dear Manuel,

I'm using Windows ME. Yes, my keyboard is English, but I think I am capable
of programming the accents to the num pad--if I could find a printing system
that will reproduce them.

OK, your CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT should include lines like those:
CONFIG.SYS
device=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)
Country=001,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys
"OO1" is the standard US country code. Spain is "034".
AUTOEXEC.BAT
mode con codepage prepare=((850) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
mode con codepage select=850
Obviously, you must verify that these paths are OK in your system.

Where do I "set LA 850 in Xy4"? Look for that in the printer manual or the
xy4 one? I really am not as stupid as I sound. I have even written programs
in Xy4--but I haven't come upon LA 850.

Include this line in your SETTINGS.DFL FILE:
df la=850
Probably this line already exists, maybe with a different value.
To program the accents in XyWrite, you only need to assign the proper "dead" key (S1) to a key (in order to get stressed vowels: á, é, í, ó, ú, Á, É, Í, Ó, Ú). You should assign the "Ñ/ñ" to another key. But, first, I need to know if you have located the ESC P/2 command to activate the 850 code page in your printer. Remember: I suppose the right code should start "ESC(t" (maybe "ESC(t30"). The place to put that code in your PRN file should be the FB line (section "Printer Information"). Study the syntax of this line and add the proper values. Maybe your printer include a setup menu to fix that but your default values can be overwritten by the codes XyWrite sends to the printer. Please let me know and we'll continue the debugging process. What PRN file are you using?
Best regards,
Manuel Castelao