Fonts In XyWin

I have a question about the behavior of TrueType fonts in XyWrite for Windows.
I recently installed a set of Cyrillic fonts. In the character map for these
fonts, Roman letters occupy their usual Ascii positions (65-123); Russian
letters occupy an upper range (192-255). The Russian characters display
correctly in Word and WordPerfect for Windows. They do not display correctly
in XyWin, however: In graphics view, where one would expect to see Russian
letters, line-drawing characters appear instead.

I have a vague notion that this has something to do with Code Pages. Windows,
I believe, uses 1250 or higher, but XyWin uses 437 or 850. If I try to set
another code page with the LA command, XyWin loops into an endless Protection
Violation, the only cure for which is to shut down XyWin. Or maybe the problem
lies elsewhere?

Can I get these fonts to display correctly in XyWin? I realize I often
complain that XyWin is too obeisant to Windows conventions, but this is a case
where consistency across applications is much to be desired.