Re: converting without losing formatting

Mimi Gauthier LeBien wrote:

> Leslie,
>
> Thanks for helping me clarify. The version is Xyrwite 3.54. A "normal," is something
> I use in Xywrite which is a formatted piece of text I use over and over and insert
> into document. I need help doing some of my work. As you know, it is very hard to
> find someone who knows xywrite well enough to use it or willing to learn it. They
> will do the work in Word, and I want to be able to give them my Xywrite "normal"
> (basic skeleten and formatting of a regular report I use in XY) and have them fill it
> in with the information and then be able to convert it back, or open it in Xywrite
> without losing the formatting. Is this clearer? If not, let me know.
>
> THanks, Mimi
>
> Leslie Bialler wrote:

Mimi,

That version, as I recall, did not come bundled with filters. Too bad.
What you need to do is secure a filter that will allow you to translate
the XyWrite file to an RTF file. The Wordster will then be able to open
the RTF file as a Word file, with the template hopefully intact
(although it doesn't always work to perfection). The Wordster should
then save the finished product back to RTF, return it to you, for
re-filtering.

If you had version 4.xx of XyWrite you would have discovered that those
filters were included.

Yeah, I know--kludgy. Perhaps some of our Wise Persons know a more
efficient way. If so, no doubt you'll be hearing from them.

--
Leslie Bialler
Columbia University Press