Re: File conversions: h*lp

Apropos of the world's best-loved word processor, one first-hand report
I've just read on another mailing list says that Word ver. 97 is very
similar to ver. 7 apart from being very much slower. Apparently it's OK on
a 586/166 with 32MB but a dog on a mere 586/90 with 16MB. This comparison
was about the respective Japanese versions. I found the report credible
partly because it praised the new version of Access over the slightly older
one--for its speed.

(I did wonder what the improvement would be. Out here in the inscrutable
Orient there's a high level of tolerance for utterly uninformative ads.
But even by Japanese standards, the ads for Office 97 were vapid: Mr and Ms
Wholesome standing next to a box marked "Office 97". Also, the product was
advertised with a short, sharp blitzkrieg typically used for spectacularly
bad movies: pull in the suckers before word spreads of what a turkey it is.)

I mention this for the possible benefit of anybody who is starting to think
of a need to buy some recentish version of Word. If you can still find
ver. 7 (especially at a heavily discounted price), it could be the one to
spring for.
Peter Evans