Re: Xywrite and gefilte fish

> What we need is not another list, but a recipe.
> > -- > Nathan Sivin

Nathan,

You are the listowner after all. Be careful what you ask for.
 (Jack Shafer: I don't want you to think I too have too much
time on my hands.  This is from "Sheldon" on the CIS Cooks
forum. I don't really believe you've ever tasted gefilte fish.)
---

            Gefilte Fish
            Kimsta Zuvis

This famous Jewish dish originated in Lithuania. If desired,
instead of slicing the fish, remove the skin in one piece; then
stuff the skin and shape it to give the appearance of a whole
fish. Tie the stuffed fish in a cloth before cooking. The
technique of gutting a fish through the gills is required here.
The fish flesh can be pounded in a mortar or pureed with the
onion in a food processor. Serves 6

1 whole fish (2-lb) head and tail removed, gutted without breaking the
  skin and cut into 6 slices
  salt       2 large onions, sliced 2 eggs
1/4 cup matzo meal or cracker crumbs
  fresh ground white pepper
1 to 2 tbsp. cold water   1 rib celery, diced
1 large carrot, sliced
2 or 3 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley (optional)
--------------------
Carefully remove the flesh and bones from the fish without
breaking the skin. Sprinkle the skin, head and bones with salt
and place them, covered, in the refrigerator while preparing the
filling.
  Put the fish flesh and one of the onions through a food
grinder, place the mixture in a wooden chopping bowl and chop
until smooth. Add the eggs and matzo meal or cracker crumbs, and
season with salt and pepper. Add enough cold water to make a
light, soft mixture, then blend well.
  Wet your hands with cold water and form the mixture into six
oval cakes that will fit into the bands of fishskin. Fit these
cakes into the skin.
Rinse the fish head and bones and place them in the bottom of a
deep, heavy kettle or saucepan. Add the remaining onion, the
celery, carrot, fish cakes and just enough cold water to cover.
  Cover the kettle and bring to a quick boil, then remove the
lid and reduce the heat. Simmer very slowly for 1 1/2 to 2 hours,
by which time the liquid should be reduced by half.
 Serve the fish cakes warm, garnished with the cooked carrot and
the chopped parsley. Or refrigerate the cakes and the strained
cooking liquid separately, and serve the cakes chilled with the
jellied cooking liquid as a garnish. Allan Needell--Internet:
aneedell@xxxxxxxx; CCserve: 71461,1115

---- End of forwarded message ----
Allan Needell--Internet: aneedell@xxxxxxxx; CCserve: 71461,1115