Re: Xy on Mac revisited-Parallel Universe

Well, working in DOS under Parallels in not a walk in the park. Maybe
I'm not reading the documentation carefully enough. Maybe I don't
understand the way Macs work well enough. But, I have found no
convenient way to move files back and forth from the Parallels Virtual
Machine to the Mac desktop or folder system.

Although Parallels says I can use an external floppy drive, I have not
been able to get DOS to engage with it. What I have done, which is a
pain, is to convert the floppy in my disk drive into an image through
Mac Disk Utility, and from there turn the image into a virtual floppy
(still limited to 1.4 MB) and connect it to my Virtual Machine. Then I
can copy from the virtual a: drive to the virtual c: drive.

I have not been able to get the VM to engage with my CD drive, although
the documentation seems to say that I should be able to do it.

I assume DOS has not been properly set up (just using bare minimum
files) and I'm not technically adept enough to know quite where to go
from here.

Googling around the net I have found mention of people happily using
DOS. Have not yet found a human being to ask how to set things up so
that I can move files in any reasonably efficient manner.

If I actually want to do real work on the Mac, so far I'm going to have
to use Word.

But it looks nice. Sigh. If anybody would like, I can e-mail you a
pretty screen shot.

--- "Patricia M. Godfrey"  wrote:
> One would think so. But as far as we know, NO one has gotten Xy
> running satisfactorily on Linux yet. Mac, yes. though heretofore it's
>
> been by using the Virtualization engine that Microsludge bought (and
> will either discontinue or make it not work for DOS; mark my words).
> So getting it going under Parallels is a BIG step forward.

Lisa Kleinholz
www.kleinholz.com