Re: Windows at 30

Hang on, Kari: clear fonts are not screen candy but absolutely functional
elements. You emphasize, below, good printing every time. And that is
emphatically true. But for anyone who wanted to have the best possible
screen experience (including those who wanted to save paper), TT fonts
were the only way to go, so much so that all the scalable fonts used by
Apple on screen were (and still are, as on Windows) TT fonts. Also, the
TT equivalent of Multiple Masters, was developed by and for Apple. That
said, TT does require more CPU power, and I am sure you are right that it
was too much for Win 3.0. To this day we have the problems of
inadequate processing power to handle certain font features. It is
because MS's Word team fought it, that multiple master technology was
removed from the OpenType spec; and it is only recently that MSW offered
full OT ligature support. True small cap support still seems to have one
or two problems? The MS team always says the program would be too slow if
all these features were available.

MS has built ATM into Windows for decades now; for which they pay no licensing fee. That was the price Adobe paid to keep PostScript alive. Then ATM was discontinued as a separate product and built straight into each Adobe app, so that they would function well with PS fonts regardless of changes in the OS. QDGX was not accepted by MS only because Apple demanded a modest licensing fee. If the deal had gone through, rapid app development would have proceeded in a very similar manner on both platforms and all the global language problems would have been addressed where they should be, at system level. Instead, we have chaos. But it very nearly was order.