Re: e: ansi

Manuel Castelao wrote:
See a chart here: http://www.kostis.net/charsets/cp1252.htm Or this tutorial on character code issues: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars.html Manuel Castelao
Manuel, thanks for that link, which yielded much useful information. For a practical example of the issues involved, the pages displayed correctly in Firefox. When I copied and pasted to EditPad (a Notepad replacement that I use when I'm afraid Xy might go OOM with large or overly formatted copying), most things came over, except the Greek title at the end of one of the internally linked passages. EditPad rendered it as a string of question marks. That reminds me of an episode some years ago: I was copy editing a book that was a collection of papers on the Greek immigrant experience in the US and Canada. Each author had a different system for transcribing Greek. Some used more than one, depending on whether they were transcribing classical, koine, Byzantine, demotike, or katharevusa. Or sometimes for no reason that I could discover or the author could explain. One academic used the actual Greek letters. Now that would have been fine (I know the alphabet, if not the language, and could have followed a transcription scheme) BUT he wrote in M$ Word on a Mac. Not merely the electronic file, but his printout, rendered his Greek in roman letters that had it looking like Finnish (basing that estimate on vague recollections of a translation of the Kalevala, read many years before). I should hazard that this was a further instance of Microsludge's "open standards that WE control" (as a M$ flunky clearly said a while back, during the great Massachusetts open docs brouhaha). -- Patricia M. Godfrey PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx