Re: Re memory issues

** Reply to message from Patricia M Godfrey  on Thu, 19 Jun
2003 18:38:48 -0400

> But
> isn't the EMS page frame (which is only 64K) taken from between 768 and
> 896K (i.e., in the UMBs--000A0000-FFFFFFFF, with 000D0000-000DFFFF the
> usual location)

USB is located in DC000-DFFFF, which trashes the D0000 segment. And that's not
just my machines, that's lots and lots of machines.

> Or was Robert using "High Memory"
> generically (i.e., anything above 640K)?

You're being picky! Upper Mem = High Mem in my book. A few BIOSes put EMS up
at 15Mb, but most don't.

> BUT if you've installed Win with [ACPI] turned on and then turn it
> off, on reboot Windows CANNOT FIND THE MBR!. Evidently ACPI handles far
> more than just power management.

Ah, Patricia, the undependability of no-name hardware! I turn ACPI on and
(mostly) off occasionally, and I never had any trouble booting. In fact, it's
hard to imagine what connection there would be...

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx