Re: converting Xywrite to Word

Judith Davidsen reponds to a query from Peter Evans, thus:

> > 1]using Save As, name the document
> > c:\directory\title.doc--the .doc extension is crucial
> >
> > 2] save the renamed document as Rich Text Ansi.
> >
> > It should open up perfectly in Word.
>
> Why title.doc rather than title.rtf?

> Don't know. The tip originated with Leslie Bailler.

Ah yes. For those of you who are unaware, I pay Judith a certain sum
quarterly to mention my name from time to time. Thank you Judith, and
your check for this quarter is in the mail.

And now to the topic at hand:

Because: if you save a file as .doc, it is instantly recognizable as a
Word file to all users. I had a freelancer who insisted that Word would
only be able to handle files with the extension .doc, while summarily
rejecting from her system files not so named, thus damaging her computer
(and perhaps also causing serious bodily harm to her cat--or was it her
mouse? Whatever.) Since she was (as many if not most of you would
imagine considering the theory she had espoused) undoubtedly clueless as
to what version of Word she was using, I simply saved the files as RTF,
so that they would be totally compatible with whatever version she in
fact had and open automatically when she pointed and clicked at one of
the desired file icons. In order to ensure she would not balk at the
sight of a file with the extension RTF, I renamed the files on the disk
I was sending her from *.RTF to *.DOC. Cazart! She never knew the
difference, and went happily on applying the precepts of _The Chicago
Manual of Style_ to the documents in question, never knowing, or caring,
that her version of Word, whichever it was, was happily applying the
precepts of Word at the same time.

Most of you can stop reading here. If you are still baffled, go on to
the next paragraph.

Note to the Windows-environment illiterate (such as, but not limited to,
those hereabouts who persist in referring to Windows as Windoze): if you
click on a file icon that displays a large W, Windows knows full well
that this is a word file and automatically opens it without your first
having to open Word itself. I could also tell those of you who fall into
this category how to customize your Windows to make XyWrite files behave
in the same way--but then I'd have to kill you.

> > Peter Evans peter@xxxxxxxx

lb136@xxxxxxxx
61 W. 62 St, NYC 10023
212-459-0600 X7109 (phone) 212-459-3677 (fax)