FW: Re: DeScribe Voyager??

On Thu, 10 Aug 1995 19:29:14 -0400 (EDT) James D. Besser wrote:

>Seems to me the relevanc eof the OS debate is this: how can we continue
>using XyWrite, but also take advantage of all the software out there that
>ddepends on Windoze or OS/2? I find myself spending huge amounts of time
>playing with operating systems because I don't want to give up XyWrite,
>but I need to use Windoze or OS/2 software for other functions, like
>Faxing and WWWing.
>
>It also seems to me that people ought to stop regarding their software as
>a religion.The best OS, the best software, is just a tool--an imperfect
>tool, at that. Software fanaticism always makes me very susupcious.
>
>jb

I agree with Jim, the OS should be running reliably in the background. I
have used OS/2 for over two years in the office and Windows for about 1.5
years on my home PC. Both OS's have their weaknesses and from what I have
seen of Win95, I am not that impressed and dread the learning curve. We will
never have an OS that suits the individual needs of everyone.

I made the migration from XyWrite III+ to XWin on both office and home
machines and have been unhappy with the way sentences are cut off at the top
or bottom of the screen, the sloppy way XW 4.12 opens files (by forcing you
to go through too many dialog boxes unnecessarily), files will not open with
keyboard commands after deleting a file while in the File Manager dialog
box, and the way spell checker forces you to interact with a dialog box
after you have told it to save an acronym which is in all caps.

I use XWin, WordPerfect, Word, and AMI Pro. My favorite is XyWin because it
consumes few system resources, but I must say that the other word processing
programs are becoming more attractive especially with hard drive prices
plummeting every year and Pentium systems that are becoming more affordable.
XyWin still seems to have too many rough edges.
Mike Gawdun
Date: 08/11/95
Time: 08:15:26