Re: DeScribe Voyager??

>Hey, guys, I guess I didn't make myself clear. os/2 is a topic that does not
>engage my interest. Since you address me about it, I'll just say again that

  But it is of great interest to a large portion of the members of this
list -- at least the active ones -- and so we discuss it here, not on
comp.os2.advocacy, as you suggest, because how we use XY is rather
inter-connected with the OS. Very much so, in fact -- and it is also of
great interest to us whether or not there is even going to be a XY in our
future. I think that pertains to the xywrite list, and you do have, I'm
sure, and know how to use, a delete key.
  Quite frankly, I don't understand why our discussion of XY and other,
non-MS, operatings systems upsets you. Weren't you talking about PowerMacs
the other day? How many people here are going to try that combo?
  Should we not talk about unix or linux either? Yesterday I sent a letter
to Hunter Systems to check on pricing of their version of XY III+ for unix.
Think how arcane the discussions will get for the windoz users if some of us
start using that flavor of XY, eh? And I'm sure that many of us will be
totally bored and turned off with discussions of XYwin/95. So should the
Xywin/95 users form a new list? Should those of us who are trying to find a
workable syncretism of XY and Describe, or Starwriter, or whatever, form
another?
  I mean, nothing beats the power and speed and adaptability of XY, at
least thus far, but on the other hand, XY is sadly behind the software
development curve (and I know you have complained a bit about this yourself)
and probably won't catch up. For those of us who won't be using using win95,
there has to be other solutions, some sort of workable combination. The
problem is that there is just a plethora of truly slick and beautiful OS/2
apps out there, done not by teams of developers, but by individuals and sold
as shareware -- so when TTG and others say they can't afford to develop for
OS/2 as well as win95, one has to believe that it is more a case of what?
Unresponsivness and unconcern with their market base? Just plain being unhip
to what is going on --??? One has to wonder a bit about a company whose
product was once the leading edge in its field, and now, in 1995 has no net
address, no homepages, no ftp site, no net and e-mail integration internal
to its product, not even long filenames and directories, no development
except on one narrow channel --win95 -- none for OS/2, none for the PPC, no
real graphics integration and manipulation, no equation editor, etc.
  So we talk about other products that do have these things, trying to
find a solution, a work-around. Why do you object to that? It's hardly
off-topic, the state of XY development in our rapidly changing electronic
world makes it very much on-topic. Discussing the use of Describe and XY is
just as germaine as your discussing XY and Quark. Or should we get Nathan to
put in a kill-file that would delete every incoming message that mentions
any other product besides XY?

--
Harmon Seaver
hseaver@xxxxxxxx

We have found the Fountain of Youth in Asia!