Re: XY in DosBox (XP)

At 4/1/2004 10:19 AM -0500, Patricia M Godfrey wrote:
Hmm. I was having screen, keyboard, and cursor problems on a system (two
in fact, and the Xy setup had been copied from one to the other). So I
pulled up settings.dfl and ran compare against a known good version. It
turned out that there were several places where there were blank lines in
settings.dfl: no semicolons, no df xx=, just a CR/LF. That evidently eats
up RAM to a fare-thee-well and causes all sorts of instabilities.
Furthermore, because it causes keystrokes to be delayed, it's likely to
cause more such lines to creep into the file if you try to edit it on
that machine. Go through settings.dfl very carefully (SE for CR/LFCR/LF,
and also for CR/LF CR/LF; the space at the beginning of the line is even
worse) and clean any such lines out.
Well, this cleared up one of the five problems I was having: When I
alt/enter'ed to full-screen and back, the program would freeze. Now, it
does not. Progress. One down four to go. Thanks, Patricia. (Found half a
dozen CR's.)
Meanwhile, I misspoke in answer to Jim's question: XYDos FULLSCREEN works
just fine in XP Pro, no erratic cursor, though the font looks dreadful.
Somewhere I have an old copy of Ultravision for laptops, which might work.

Michael Norman