Re: Need advice on MS Word (if anyone can stand it)

Eric Van Tassel:
>(1) When I boot up the program, a "document1" appears on the screen by
>default;
>(2) When I've finished working on a file and save it, it produces a *.BAK
>duplicate.

I think both of those you can change with some settings under "tools"
somewhere -- but ideally, of course, you would want to avoid MSWord
altogether.

>   In fact, is there ANY straightforward way to erase/delete a file while
>working within MSW? The only way I can find on any of Mr Gates's cute
>little menus is to close MSW completely, go to File Manager (or to XyWrite,
>indeed), delete the file(s), and reopen MSW -- which is daft.

I don't think there is any straightforward way to do anything in MSWord
(what I find most infuriating personally, is the endless prodding to
save in the latest MS Word format), but if you close one program first
to open another, you make life unnecessarily difficult for yourself.
Why not keep both open -- isn't that what Windoze is for? The magic
button combination is Ctrl+Esc. Or klick on those taskbar buttons, if you
are a mouse person.

--Rene von Rentzell, Tokyo
--"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone,
--it means just what I choose it to mean - nothing more nor less."
--(Lewis Caroll). "I didn't inhale." (W. Clinton)