Re: Win 7 64 Bit [Metapad]

Reply to note from "Kari Eveli"  Sat, 24 Nov 2012
11:19:57 +0200

> Prerequisites for this solution:
>
> 1) EditPad Lite on the host machine ...

Clipboard workarounds aside, I've had a copy of Editpad on my computer
for a long time. The version I have is ancient (dated Oct. 2008) and
the interface looks its age. My two requirements for a Notepad
alternative are compactness and portability. Basically, I want a small
EXEcutable, which doesn't need to be "installed", that I can plant in
my Xy4 directory and launch from the CMline when and as needed. At
645K, my old copy of Editpad fit the bill, whereas the current version
of Editpad -- a 9MB download -- is too big for my purposes.

So Editpad has given way to a leaner, very capable, and free Notepad
substitute: Metapad (http://liquidninja.com/metapad/). The "full"
version of the EXEcutable is a mere 197K, the feature set extensive,
and the interface a pleasure to use. I love the Transparent Mode
toggle (Ctrl-U), which allows you to see through Metapad to the
window(s) below. Highly recommended.

U2 users can use the following frame METAPAD to launch Metapad from
the CMline (locate Metapad.exe in the directory that contains
EDITOR.EXE):

XPLeNCODE v2.0
b-gin [UNTITLED]
{{;5metapad}} Launch Metapad Windows text editor from Xy4 dir
ectory [CLD][cr|lf]{002}{<}SX50,{<}VA$ED{>}{>}[JM_]2.GetPath[
Q2_];*;[cr|lf][BX_]dos/nv/x/z /c cmd.exe /c start {<}PV50{>}\
metapad.exe[Q2_]{002}[cr|lf][cr|lf]
-nd
XPLeNCODE

--