Re: Win 7 64 Bit (Metapad)

Reply to note from Jon P  Tue, 27 Nov 2012
14:24:52 -0800 (PST)

Jon:

> Catch-22?

Maybe. But first let's clear up a couple of nits. I'm a little hazy
about where Metapad.exe lives on your DOSBox machine. I thought you
said C:\XY4, but in your e-mail the variable XE_Use_Editor points to
"c:\metapad.exe" (root dir of C:). Also, the first underscore in
"XE_Use_Editor" is a space. Maybe just a typo in your e-mail and not
an actual error.

Once you're square on the above ... what happens if you put both
Metapad.exe and CMD.EXE in C:\XY4? Since CMD.EXE is not there now,
copy it there. Open a CMD prompt in Win7 (not DOSBox), and at the
command prompt enter:

copy %windir%\SysWOW64\cmd.exe c:\xy4

Double-check that Metapad.exe is in the directory pointed to by REG
variable XE_Use_Editor. Then give frame XE another try.

I'm not sanguine about this working. As you know, I've never used
DOSBox, but I fear that "Illegal command CMD.EXE" means that DOSBox
is incapable of using CMD.EXE to launch a Windows program, like
Metapad. In which case, you may be up a Metacreek without a....

Fingers crossed. Let me know.

Best,

Carl

--