Re: Off topic: nomen et omen

Robert Holmgren -- your Indonesia reference caught my eye. When were your 20
years there, and in what capacity? I've lived in Indonesia several times over
the past 40 years, first as a wire service journalist, then as a journalism
professor or consultant. Also Egypt a couple of times (totaling 8 years).

The Scandinavian "-son" practice obviously parallels the Arabic "bin" usage, as
in Osama Bin Laden (Osama, son of Laden) -- although that family appears to
have also joined the current Western family-name practice. The female
equivalent is "binti." Also brother to the Hebrew "ben." And the Russian usage
of the first and middle names -- "Andrei Mikhaelovic," "Anna Mikhaelovna" etc.
Modern Western practice is more akin to the family-focused Chinese, although
their tradition is like the phonebook, with surname first.

             ted stannard

=====