Re: Invisible line break

** Reply to message from Harry Binswanger  on Wed, 05 Mar 2003
13:23:35 -0500

Harry:

>> I believe that the _only_ character that will allow a
>> line break|wrap is the space character Ascii 32.

> Also the hyphen and the tab.

Right! Oof, forgot them. So OK: altogether we have
space, tab, hyphen, and the assigned discretionary hyphen
character -- four characters that will perform a
"discretionary wrap", so to speak. But none of them is both
invisible and zero width. The Tab comes closest;
conceivably with a soft font you could use a Substitution
table, set width=0, and set TS=0, but then you won't have
access to [259] and [260], and the whole thing gets more and
more complicated. If I were in Patricia's shoes, I'd use a
would be quite thin -- I think it looks better anyway (an
unpadded em dash crowding directly up against another
character looks godawful).

> I checked every ascii possibility between 0 and 255 and
> got a strange result. Add to the above these ASCII values,
> in decimal

For the following, are you using the built-in separator
table, or are you writing and loading your own SE: table to
include these characters? I've tried it both ways, and:

03 -- Doesn't work for me
13 -- *Forces* (!) a wrap. Anyway, a paragraph (not word) separator
126 -- Your discretionary hyphen char??
155 -- Doesn't work here
169 -- Nope
181 -- "