Re: Designed to be slow.

>>On Qwerty vs. Dvorak: I was always told, tho this may be in the
>>urban legend category, that Qwerty was designed by early typewriter
>>manufacturers precisely to slow the typist down so the clunky
>>machine would have time to respond to each key strike.

Urban or otherwise, a myth. The keys were laid out in order that those
likeliest to be struck in succession would not be next to each other, and
thereby to reduce the risk of them jamming. Slowing down the typist (or
typewriter, as I believe he or she was then called) was an unfortunate
side-effect, no more.

Given three more hours in the day, I'd find an authority for that. As it
is, anyone here can either take my word for it or (much better!) not take
my word for it and instead dig up an authority.
Peter Evans