Re: Unix and XyWrite and whatnot

Dear Mr Seaver,

   Thank you for your intriguing message about your new G3 Powermac. I
use Xy 3 and 4 under DOS on an old IBM clone. I love the degree to which
I can "look under the hood" and tinker with XyWrite and DOS. From the
first time I lay eyes on Windows (and, unfortunately, had to use it for
two weeks when I was on a temporary assignment), it seemed to me a sad,
garish, gawky imitation of a Macintosh. (I don't read computer magazines,
but no doubt a thousand Mac users have said the same thing.) And today
when I sit down at a machine running Windows (as I occasionally have to do
at school), I don't see that I like Windows any better in its 1998
manifestations than I did in 1992. Indeed, I loathe it. So I either use
DOS or a Mac, but I avoid any version of Windows like the plague.
   Since my wife will ONLY use a Mac, and since maintaining and
upgrading two separate computer systems at home is not very economical,
your message has got me thinking about future arrangments that might lead
to a less crowded study and fewer weird cable connections to the
printer...
   So, I'd like you to talk a bit more specifically about your
experiences with your new set-up:

1. Does Virtual PC give you a full screen of XyWrite?

2. What has been your experience with peripheral devices, especially when
printing from XyWrite? Does the active .PRN file continue to rule the
printer, or do things get changed along the way? What sorts of things,
and what controls them? How are fonts handled?

3. Can you control the appearance of the working window by using
XyWrite's settings (.DFL)?

4. Can you use the DOS command to leave XyWrite and get to DOS (and
"exit" to get back again)? Or is its better to open DOS as a separate
window?

5. Have you tried printing any chained files (ty @) with or without
cross-references (LB / REP sequences, etc.)?

Thanks again for your informative message.

Yours,
Carlo Caballero

Carlo Caballero
Research Associate