De: xywrite-bounce@xxxxxxxx [mailto:xywrite-bounce@xxxxxxxx] En nombre de Kari Eveli
Enviado el: miércoles, 19 de noviembre de 2014 12:51
Para: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Asunto: vDosXy - non-standard character set, access C: and set path trick

I am trying to get display fonts operational. There is something missing in the display font
settings to show characters correctly.

First I tried the internal font. My Windows 7 defaults to CodePage 850, which I have never used. To
get ASCII, you need 437, so I added CHCP 437 to autoexec.txt. (You can get the same effect by
putting - in front of the fontname in config.txt if you use an external font). This works ok, but
there are a couple of anomalies: there is no Ç, which can be useful if you write French, there
is a euro sign in its place (ascii-128). Then there are the non-standard line-drawing characters
(double-line chars show as dimmed single-line chars, this is Jos's own preference).
Otherwise the character set is ok. To view charsets, use the ASCII.EXE included in the vDosWP
package (by Thomas Berger, freeware?).

Then I loaded a font, viz. Consola. There is still no Ç, but line-drawing characters are ok.

C: and PATH
***************
If you want to get access to your normal c: drive as is, put this in
autoexec.txt:
USE C: C:\

To run batch files or programs from the VDOSXY folder, add:
SET PATH=%PATH%;c:\VDOSXY

%PATH% is Z:, which means that running instances of command.com and autoexec.bat are created in
there. This is why Z: is reserved for internal use, so do not try to assign drive Z: (I found this
in the vDOSWP documentation). Note that Jos says that the next release will not have a dedicated Z:
anymore, and a fake command.com will appear in the vDos C: root.
(https://sourceforge.net/p/vdos/discussion/general/thread/3ac66471/)

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)