Re: Stack question

** Reply to message from Harry Binswanger  on Mon, 19 Jan 2004
15:32:13 -0500

> Clearing the stack did seem to cure my "hint" problem. But it may be that I
> didn't RTFM, because STACK.DOC says:
> "The Hint  substring (instring) may occur anywhere within a
> previously-Stacked command" and the "d" I was using did appear in se /gt,ld/

Yes -- if your Hint is just "d" then that's a match; but "d," (with comma) does
NOT appear in "se /gt,ld/". I've never seen a false hit, Harry, and therefore
I conclude that something is wrong at your end. "Hint" is short for
"case-INsensitive sub$tring that appears within a target (Stacked) $tring".
Hint matches are popped in LIFO order.

I'm trying to follow your description of Stack's order when you swap the Up and
Down keys bass ackward. And I'm getting confused too. Allow me to challenge
first your basic goal. We have two concepts, Forward and Backward; and we have
two keys that need to be correlated, Up and Down. Now, to me, intuitively, Up
is Forward and Down is Backward. The reverse is almost unimaginable to me, but
OK, that's just me. Regardless, your goal is easily achieved by reversing the
order in S/G 621. In fact, in an effort to reproduce your results, I've still
got mine configured that way, and it's driving me crazy. But it works, as
designed -- perfectly.

So, OK, let me reproduce your procedure. I Stack (ignoring the reported math
error -- lone numbers are not valid commands, but they Stack just fine):

5
4
3
2
1

Then I clear the command line (using the key which activates Stack). I hit
CursorDown five times consecutively -- I *don't ever touch* CursorUp! I get:

1
2
3
4
5

So what's wrong with that? That's what you (and I) would expect, isn't it? I
just don't get it, Harry.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx