Re: Stack question

Reply to note from Harry Binswanger  Mon, 19 Jan
2004 15:32:13 -0500

> "The Hint substring (instring) may occur anywhere within a
> previously-Stacked command" and the "d" I was using did appear
> in se /gt,ld/

I was wondering about that. Your original post said (literally)
that your hint was "d," -- the letter d followed by a comma. I had
a creeping suspicion you might have meant plain "d" but were hewing
to the stupid convention that insists on putting commas and full
stops inside of quotation marks whether they belong there or not.
Whatever the supposed aesthetic merits of that practice (highly
dubious, IMHO), it has no place in correspondence about the
intricacies of a computer program, especially one, like Stack,
that's all about the precise handling of strings a/k/a (in many
programming languages, including XPL) strings of characters enclosed
in quotes! Grrrr....

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx