Re: Problem with graphics view...?

** Reply to message from "M.W. Poirier"  on Mon, 29
May 2006 14:13:25 -0400 (EDT)

> But Robert asked me to shift to full screen and give
>  the command func wz, which is what I did, and the first
>  time I did it, instead of going into graphics view, the
>  lines quickly lengthened, and "ss" appeared where the
>  cursor had been when I was in draft view. But as I
>  mentioned earlier, that happened only once. For the
>  next five or six times that I performed the same operation,
>  everything worked properly, i.e., it worked as it is
>  supposed to work.

What you're doing manually by this procedure, is what Windows is doing
automatically: switching you to full screen, and then to Graphics view. Which
is proven when you exit Graphics (you are then in full screen). So... unless
I'm missing something, and this method does indeed avoid a freeze, it seems to
me that Windows is having trouble switching the video mode so abruptly (I do
indeed get a frozen screen if I Alt-Enter while in Graphics view -- I think
this is very tough on the video adapter). (I'm ignoring here that you said you
restored your XY4 directory and the trouble disappeared -- if that's the case,
then... what are we talking about?) But if you still have the freeze problem,
and this 2-step switch solution works, I can automate it so that you don't have
to do it manually -- one keystroke will do it all, a la Shift-F8 -- but a bit
more orderly.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx