RE: Xy to Word

Nancy said:
I recently produced a 40,000-word ms. in XyDOS
4.017, opened it in Word, and had to manually replace every (")--which Word
recognizes as an inch mark--and change every (--) to an em dash. If there's
an easier method, I'd love to hear about it.

In Word 7.0, I go to Format - Autoformat (or similar; I don't have it on the machine I'm using right
now). Autoformat is settable. In its default form, it's likely to really mess up your document with
unwanted headers, etc. But you can limit its scope to just the "true" quotes and the
em-dash. I do this all the time for a newsletter I produce in Word from contributions that range
from XyWrite to plain-text e-mail.

Word also has a global search/replace that's not very intuitive but useful for turning any
consistent text into something else. For instance, I use it to turn spaced hyphens - as in this
sentence - into dashes. Autoformat doesn't cover this.

Tim Baehr