RE: Xy to Word

Nancy,
I just copied your text in word and did a search and replace and it worked fine when the quotes were not inside parentheses. I got the smart quotes.
I replaced the " (inch mark) with two strokes of the key next to enter. In
my email it looks like an inch mark, in Word, it comes out looking like
smart quotes.

The Word search and replace also works using shift+ the key next to enter.

At 08:18 AM 8/2/01 -0700, you wrote:
> Norman Bauman wrote:
>
> > Question: How do I convert the quotation marks (") into open and closed
> > quotes?

and Leslie Bialler replied:

> Don't. Word will take care of this when the Word version of the file is
> opened.

To which I say:

Oh, really? I deal with this problem all the time, and Word has never worked
this particular magic for me. I recently produced a 40,000-word ms. in XyDOS
4.017, opened it in Word, and had to manually replace every (")--which Word
recognizes as an inch mark--and change every (--) to an em dash. If there's
an easier method, I'd love to hear about it.

"Words to tell you what to do/Words are working hard for you."
--Tina Weymouth and Chris Frantz

Nancy Friedman
Wordworking
nancyf@xxxxxxxx