Re: Xy4-Dosemu startup and quit tweaks

Paul Lagasse wrote:

I don't think I've had partimage complain that an unmounted partition was mounted; as best I can recall, that aspect has run smoothly. (I often run it off an unpowered usb hard drive that has a persistent Ubuntu install, which should be a similar situation to your thumbdrive.) I usually do stupid stuff like forgetting to run sudo, or not entering the path in addition to the filename of the image file I'm creating. BTW, if you've got a persistent Jaunty thumbdrive now, you can turn it into even more of a rescue drive (should you ever need that, and if you haven't already) by going to Ubuntu Rescue Remix and running the apt-get install command at the bottom of page http://ubuntu-rescue-remix.org/Software. I believe that convertfs doesn't install, but all the other tools do; you might need to remove that from the command to get it to run smoothly.
just a side note -- after initial success with Partimage, I've discarded it in favor of Clonezilla. I managed to use Partimage to back up two partitions last week, but yesterday it crapped out, twice -- both times when it was 90% done backing up to the external hard drive. I had booted from am Ubuntu Rescue CD rather than the thumb drive, where it worked fine, which is perhaps the reason (?). in any case, Clonezilla is pretty straightforward & has the added benefit of backing up the partition table information. as a matter of fact, I'm so taken with it that right now it's backing up the partitions on the Windows box. -rafe