Re: ntfs, fat32, partitioning

Harry,

I could summarize the general strategy, but not document each step and click. And please bear in
mind that I stopped up[sic]grading Windows at w2k sp3, so I don't know what MS may have changed on
the XP and Vista GUIs (they very often keep the same functions but move the buttons around from one
version to the next).

Flash wrote:

>All sound advice. To which I might add: put your OS on one partition,
>your apps on another, your data and the I386 folder on another
>partition. This way, if the OS crashes and burns, you can restore it
>with the image you made previously and not have to re-install all your
>apps or lose any data. That's the whole point of the partitioning
>exercise. This of course requires that you update your OS image every
>time you install a new app (otherwise your restored registry does not
>match the apps partition). This is time consuming to set up, but,
>believe me, you'll thank your stars next time you have a crash-and-burn.
>The I386 folder contains all the drivers Windows occasionally asks for;
>keep it on the local HD so you don't have to find the original CD.

It would be wonderful if you'd write out a step-by-step procedure for doing
all this, so I (and others) could implement it on my new system when I get it.

But maybe that would take too much effort--please don't feel obligated.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx