Re: Refresh rates (XyDos in XP Window)

At 3/3/2003 02:48 PM -0500, Robert Holmgren wrote:
Every character would be displayed as it was "put".  There would be no lag, and
then no leaping ahead; keyboard and video would be synchronized.  As far as I
could tell, David Thomas did manage to do that fairly successfully.  But I
gather there were omissions in his treatment, e.g. the cursor arrows.

Well, thinking out loud, I wonder if we (those who want an XP answer) should consider asking Mr. Thomas if we could contract for the answer, which is to say, negotiate some fee. I have no idea how to establish a fair price, or if that price is beyond our collective means, or if this is even an absurd notion. I do know that VPC costs more than $200, and, as you have suggested in a previous post, you'll likely need...what?...at least another $200-$500 worth of processor power and ram to make VPC run smoothly. Maybe MS bought VPC to integrate into the next iteration of its OS, perhaps solving the compatibility problems. Or as some here suggest, they plan to *disappear it* making way for an all MS world with no legacies -- the future of the past is past. But the thought of trying to create a manuscript in MSWord makes me wince.

Michael Norman
michael.norman@nyu.http://michael.norman@xxxxxxxx/_____________________