Re: Robert -- Re: OT: End Note ?

Robert Holmgren wrote:
Filling out
the Ibidem template and adding keywords strikes me as a lot of
work. Frankly, for basic citation, I don't see much
value-added. You keep a master bibliography, and just
cut-and-paste! You have to look up page numbers manually
anyway, and inserting an op.cit is not exactly difficult. The
rest is single-keystroke boilerplate.
Not arguing, just pointing out for the record that:
1. Devising a properly structured, normalized database for citations is fiendishly difficult, given the variations possible (1, 2, 3, or more authors; authors and editors; single- or multi-volume works; works in series; book, journal article, or monograph; Eng. language trans. of other-language work; etc., etc., etc.) IF (much virtue in an if) somebody else has already done that, more power to him, her, or them. 2. Even if you have your database, there is still (for editors and publishers at least, and nowadays, publishers are probably passing the buck to authors) the issue of choosing and enforcing a consistent style (Chicago 1 or 2, Turabian, MLA, or a custom house style). Ibid claimed to be able to to that with a keystroke. As I could never get Ibid for Xy to work, I don't know if that was true. Can any Notabenieri comment?

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx