Re: still running in Windows 10

Not a crucial difference, but 8.1 has a "fast boot" mode, usually selected by default, which saves crucial boot information and drivers to the hiber file every time you power-down -- at least, that's my understanding of what's happening.  So while the machine does completely turn off, booting is much faster than normal when you power-on the machine again.

Software restarts activate full boots, with much longer boot times.

From: flash
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, August 4, 2015 8:37 AM
Subject: Re: still running in Windows 10

On 4/8/15 10:31 AM, Kari Eveli wrote:
>> This 8.1 system boots *much* faster than my Win7 computer,
>> despite the
> fact that the latter has an SSD and the former a HDD.
>
> This is true, the boot times are quite impressive with 8 and 10.
> But on the other hand,

Win8 has a hybernate or sleep mode; I recommend people to use that,
rather than completely power down at the end of the work day. Booting
from scratch is stressy for the HD and always runs the risk of messing
up some dll or something crucial to the OS. It has the additional
benefit of waking up faster than booting, and with all the programs
and documents still open where you last left them.