Re: Advice req'd: CapsLock together with shifting keys

Reply to note from Eric Van Tassel <101233.342@xxxxxxxx> Sun,
1 Aug 1999 03:45:50 -0400

-> I don't want to (and, indeed, XyWrite might not allow me to)
-> overload the ..KBD files by adding duplicate "tables" for
-> CAPS+F11 and CAPS+F12. But I often would like to use certain
-> added characters (e.g. cap A+umlaut, or the "dagger" and
-> "paragraph" symbols) in a CapsLock environment. Is there any
-> concise way to tell the .KBD file to ignore the CapsLock toggle
-> when I invoke a character in the F11 and F12 tables?

Why would you need to add duplicate tables? Just use the existing
tables, and change the first lines to

TABLE=FKY,FKY+CAPS
TABLE=FKZ,FKZ+CAPS

I haven't tested, but I believe the limit that Xy imposes is on the
number of shift-keys that can be defined in the KEYS= stanza, not on
the number of shift-key *states* (combinations) associated with a
given TABLE. There must also be a limit (I forget what it is) on
the number of TABLEs (as well as an overall limit on file size), but
it seems to me that adding a shift-key state to an existing TABLE
hardly pushes it.

Carl Distefano
CLDistefano@xxxxxxxx
http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/