Chapbook creation

In order to create a chapbook, I selected landscape on letter-size
pages. I printed two chapbook pages on each piece of paper. Then, when
the pages were printed, I had to cut each page in half and reassemble.
Theoretically I could have placed text so that the first piece of paper
had page one on the left, page 30 (or so) on the right. The next page
could have had page two on the left, page 29 on the right and so on.
That is possible in PageMaker, but then, if I had to adjust later I
would go mad with the flow of pages.  I want a program where the pages
are automatically placed so that in printing it is simpley a matter of
xeroxing the paper and then stapling down the middle. Is this
possible? If not, then does one simply chose a smaller size page and
print each page in turn, trimming later? It seemed to me so neat to be
able to use the landscape format, printing on each size. Anyhow, I now
have just updated to PageMaker 4.0 and should be able to do more things
- although I still don't know how to split a landscape page. Anyhow,
that is the question. I hope it is more clear - and that you can offer
a solution. Many thanks for your answer.